If your document is in Word or Google Doc format, you must first save it as a PDF.
You can also add a password to a PDF to limit access and restrict certain features, such as printing, copying, and editing.
- Open the Protect toolbar by one of the following:
- Choose Tools > Protect.
- Clickin the Common Tools toolbar, and choose Protect.
- Click Encrypt in the Protect toolbar, and choose Password Protect.
- In the Password Protectiondialog box, do the following:
- Check Require a password to open the document option, and type the password in the corresponding field to set a password to open the PDF file.
- Check Add Document Restrictionoption and do the following to add restrictions to document actions:
- Input the password in the corresponding field.
- Click Permission to specify the restriction settings.
- Select an encryption algorithm, and check Don't encrypt metadata if you don't want to encrypt the document metadata.
- Click OK and save the document to make setting take effect.
Do NOT send the password in the same email as the document.
You must send 2 separate emails:
- One email will have the attached password-protected document along with text letting the recipient know that they will receive a separate email with the password.
- Second email will contain the password